Fire chiefs issue safety warning following spate of gas cylinder fires in Sunderland
written by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue on the 05th May 2015 at 17:25
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take extra care around gas cylinders after a number of recent fires.
Since April 1, the Service has attended seven incidents involving gas cylinders, three of which were in Sunderland.
On Friday, April 24, three crews from Rainton Bridge, Farringdon and Washington attended a garden fire that had been left unattended at allotments in Regent Street, Hetton-le-Hole. Six propane cylinders were found in the allotments, two of which were directly involved in the fire.
Four hose reels and two water jets were needed to put out the fire, which had spread to a shed, a greenhouse and four wooden garages. One of the garages, along with the shed and greenhouse, were destroyed, while the other garages suffered smoke damage. Sunderland District Manager Ian Cuskin, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Like all closed metal containers, gas cylinders can be extremely hazardous and present a risk of explosion if exposed to fire or extreme heat. Anyone using gas cylinders should take the time to read the manufacturer's instructions regarding their safe use and storage."
Ian added: "I would also urge gardeners and allotment holders not to keep empty cylinders in sheds. These cylinders are very dangerous, especially if stored with fertilisers and other flammable materials, and should be safely disposed of immediately after use."
Originally posted at http://www.twfire.gov.uk/news/news/?entryid67=77994...