Shop
   

 Home > Fire Stories > Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue

Warning after family suffers carbon monoxide poisoning
written by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue on the 22nd March 2017 at 13:19

Fire officers have issued a warning for people to use outdoor cooking appliances correctly after a family in Newcastle were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes. Two adults and five children required hospital treatment after the incident in Walker on Sunday. (19 March) Two Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service crews from Byker were called to the terraced house at 11.07pm after the alarm was raised. Firefighters ventilated the property and gave technical advice. All the internal appliances were checked by qualified engineers who found no faults with any of the equipment. Group Manager Andy Lillford, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue, said: “It appears that the family was using a barbecue close to the property and this caused a build-up of carbon monoxide which made them unwell. “Carbon monoxide is a silent killer – you can't see it, smell it or taste it. Common symptoms of CO poisoning include dizziness, headaches, nausea and generally feeling unwell.“If you've planned a barbecue and the weather lets you down, never take the barbecue indoors or into a tent. In recent years some people have sadly succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of this.”
 Originally posted at http://www.twfire.gov.uk/news/news/?entryid67=87117...

Similar Stories

Be Aware Of Carbon Monoxide Posted on 18th November 2014
Coroner says many people are unaware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning Posted on 18th January 2013
County Fire Service leads way in carbon monoxide prevention Posted on 17th January 2013
Raising Carbon Monoxide Awareness Posted on 21st January 2013
Landlords in Merseyside urged to act on new fire safety laws for smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in rented properties Posted on 29th September 2015