Shop
   

 Home > Fire Stories > Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue

Residents reminded that smoke alarms save lives
written by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue on the 29th March 2017 at 10:24

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service is providing fire safety and prevention advice to residents in North Shields after a man was seriously injured in a fire at his flat last week. The fire broke out at Botham House, in Percy Main, shortly after 6pm on Thursday, 23 March. The alarm was raised by a neighbour who heard the man's smoke alarm activating. Three fire crews from Wallsend, Tynemouth and South Shields were called to the incident and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel. The occupier was rescued from the living room and received first aid from firefighters at the scene, before being taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation. The fire is believed to have been started by tee-light candles in the living room. Area Manager Alan Robson, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Toxic smoke from a fire in the home can kill you in seconds, and it is quite clear that having a working smoke alarm saved this man's life. I can't stress enough how important it is to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home. They are literally life savers.” Fire prevention and education teams, along with volunteers, are targeting blocks of flats in the St John's Green area to provide free home safety checks and fire safety advice to residents. Alan Robson added: “We want to reach as many people as possible to check that they have smoke alarms and escape plans in place in the event of a fire. Where necessary we will fit smoke alarms free of charge and offer advice to help them stay safe.” Cllr Carole Burdis, Tyne and Wear Fire Authority member for North Shields, said: “This unfortunate incident last week highlights the need for residents to do everything they can to protect themselves and their families from fire. The fire prevention and education teams and volunteers are doing a great job and I hope that people take their advice on board.” To find out more about fire safety or to book a home safety check go to www.twfire.gov.uk/community-safety/
 Originally posted at http://www.twfire.gov.uk/news/news/?entryid67=87177...

Similar Stories

Tick Tock Test... Test your smoke alarms this weekend Posted on 28th March 2014
Tick Tock Test your smoke alarm Posted on 22nd October 2013
TICK, TOCK, TEST your smoke alarm before it's too late. Posted on 23rd October 2014
Test Smoke Alarms When Clocks Go Forward Posted on 27th March 2015
Tick Tock Test your smoke alarm Posted on 22nd October 2013