Bravery award for Whitley Bay man
written by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue on the 17th July 2017 at 13:31
A man from Whitley Bay who rescued a pensioner from his burning home last month has been honoured for his bravery. Paul JARVIS, 63 came to Fire Service HQ today, Monday July 17 to receive the thanks of Tyne & Wear Fire Authority for his actions on 16th June. Mr Jarvis, a retired builder was driving along Hillheads Road in Whitley Bay on his way home after work, when he noticed a fire visible inside the property, with dense fire gases coming from a first floor window. He parked up and ran to the house, entered through the front door and discovered a fire in the hallway. As he went through to the kitchen he found the 84-year-old occupant in a confused and disorientated state from the effects of smoke inhalation. Paul led the pensioner out of the property to safety, fire crews then quickly arrived and the victim received medical treatment for smoke and burns to his left leg. Mr Jarvis was given oxygen for the effects of smoke. He also looked after the pensioner's pet dog for a time until it was safe for the occupant to return to his home. Chair of Tyne and Wear Fire Authority, Coun Tom Wright said; “Mr Jarvis fully deserves this award. He acted promptly and courageously in entering the property at significant risk to himself and his personal safety. This allowed an elderly man to escape from a fire inside his home.” The blaze had started accidentally in the hallway, fire crews were at the scene within seven minutes of Mr Jarvis raising the alarm and they extinguished the flames.
Paul is pictured with Chief Fire Officer, Chris Lowther and Watch Manager for the area, Matt Currie.
Originally posted at http://www.twfire.gov.uk/news/news/?entryid67=88132...